Steps You Can Take to Prevent Flooding from Heavy Rainfall
The biggest cause of flooding due to heavy rain is drainage issues. Once water starts pooling above or below the ground, it can seep into your home or business through the cracks or directly through the walls. If you notice pooling around your home or business you should call a professional to come in and assess the drainage around the area. Additionally, there are some actions that you can take that will help prevent flooding during a heavy rainfall
1. Use less water during heavy rainfall- Doing simple things such as running the dishwasher, doing laundry or taking a shower will only make problems worse. The access water entering the sewer causes an increased chance of a flood or sewage backup.
2. Clean your gutters- Although gutters are not the direct cause of flooding, they can cause pooling of water around the foundation of your home or business.
3. Check the landscaping around your home or business- The ground around the foundation of your home or business should slope away from the property.
4. Fix cracks and gaps in the foundation of your home or business- It is very important to fix any cracks or gaps in the foundation as soon as you can.
5. Waterproof the foundation of your home or business- Although foundations are waterproofed when they are build, the coasting only lasts for a limited amount of time.
6. Install a drainage system- If you seem to be having flooding problems often around the foundation of your home or business, it may be a good idea to look into installing a drainage system.
If you have any questions about water or flooding damage, please do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Midtown Memphis 901-454-4975