The cause of these fires are primarily due to heating equipment such as space heaters. The different ways space heaters can cause a fire are:
- Lack of cleaning around space heaters and/or inside chimneys
- Placing heaters too close to combustibles
- Basic flaws in the design of the heater
- Leaks involving liquid or gas heaters
Here are some ways that you can help prevent winter fires and protect yourself and your family:
Turn off space heaters when leaving a room
- Give space heaters at least 3 feet clearance all the way around from household items
- Clean around space heaters regularly, especially inside of the chimney
- Install smoke detectors
- Keep a fire extinguisher in your home and educate yourself on how to use it
Why let SERVPRO handle fire damage and odor control?
Because the longer that your home sits without restoration efforts, the more difficult it is to salvage your contents and materials. Even if some elements like your HVAC system, light fixtures, and appliances seem to be untouched, there could be soot deposits wreaking havoc.
- Once our Green Fleet arrives on the scene and the first responders give the green light for re-entry, our crew chief begins the assessment.
- All unsalvageable materials, contents, and charred debris gets safely disposed of.
- Water removal services and drying begin if any standing water or chemicals are present from fighting the fire.
- Controlled demolition gets done to replace any unsalvageable building materials with brand new materials.
- Meticulous cleaning, sanitizing, and deodorizing help wrap up the project, leaving your home like-new once again.
Unfortunately, even with precautions fires can still happen in your home. If you do suffer fire or smoke damage in your home, have no fear we are here to help! We have certified trained technicians that specialize in fire and smoke damage. Please call us, SERVPRO of Midtown Memphis